Mr. Howard Cooper
Mr. Howard Cooper
Investigations and Disputes, EMEA, Kroll
Howard Cooper is a Managing Director in Kroll’s Investigations and Disputes practice, based in the London office. Howard is a qualified accountant with extensive experience in conducting investigations into fraud, money laundering, asset tracing, corruption, and disputes and insolvencies, across a wide range of sectors. He has broad experience working with regulators and prosecuting bodies, and specialises in conducting financial investigations in the banking and financial services sector.
Prior to joining Kroll, Howard worked within the Forensic and Investigations team at a large international firm.
- The National Bank of Moldova engaged Howard to assist with a forensic investigation into alleged financial irregularities that resulted in the collapse of three local banks, with a combined loss of US$1 billion.
- He investigated money laundering allegations in a Cypriot bank on behalf of the Central Bank of Cyprus. He enhanced the supervision department’s ability to use data analytics as part of an anti-money laundering (AML)/combating the financing of terrorism (CFT) risk assessment methodology.
- A European-based bank engaged him to help respond to a formal notice issued by the financial regulator. Howard conducted an onsite investigation and highlighted weaknesses in the bank’s compliance and risk management infrastructure from a bribery and corruption perspective.
- Howard investigated a US$150 million fraud in the UK-based fixed-income trading team of a large Russian bank. He helped the legal team trace fraud proceeds and recover assets in multiple jurisdictions, and assisted the client with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) s166 investigation.
- He assisted a LIBOR panel bank to conduct an internal investigation and implement a document review methodology to respond to disclosure requests in the UK (FCA), Tokyo (Financial Services Agency), and the USA (Department of Justice and Commodity Futures Trading Commission) in relation to price-fixing allegations.
- Howard led the criminal investigation on behalf of the Bahrain Public Prosecutor into alleged fraudulent activities related to the collapse of The International Banking Corporation and Awal Bank in Bahrain.
- He conducted a forensic and asset-tracing investigation into alleged irregularities at Glitnir Bank in Iceland prior to its collapse.
Education & Certifications
- BA (Hons), History, University of Hull